Fostering is a very heartwarming experience, and is by far the most direct way in which you can provide an opportunity for a life of happiness for an otherwise homeless animal. You’ll most certainly be rewarded for opening your heart and your home by many wet, sloppy, puppy kisses and / or sweet kitty purrs!
Foster parents teach basic commands and potty training along with socialization. The foster family is the bridge from rags to riches.
Becoming a foster, allows you to experience the true joy of saving a life, and to meet some wonderful dogs and cats, each with their own personality and traits.
- Provide a warm, safe and nurturing home and environment for the dog or cat until its new forever home is found. Being in a foster home greatly increases that dog's or cat's chance of being adopted.
- Dog or Cat will be kept as an inside pet. They may be allowed outside but will NOT live outside. They will sleep INSIDE your home, in an appropriate area.
- Work with your foster on good home manners.
- If required, will take the dog or cat to all necessary vet appointments.
- Bring your foster to adoption events.
- Review adoption applications for the dog or cat you are fostering to find a good match.
- Facilitate meetings with your foster and potential adopters.
- Since you will get to know the dog or cat, you can provide invaluable insight to potential adopters, helping ensure he or she gets a home that's a good match.
If you would like to visit us at the Livonia PetSmart on a Saturday we can talk to you about volunteering. We are at the Livonia PetSmart every Saturday from 10am to 3pm. The Livonia PetSmart is located at the Southeast corner of Middlebelt and I-96 in the back of the Meijer and Costco Parking lot.
13150 Middelbelt Road
Livonia, MI 48150